June 2, 2019 Message Notes
Acts 1:6-9; John 13:1-17 NIV; Philippians 2:3 NIrV
Message Notes and Questions:
1. Jesus points to children as primary teachers of humility.
“Therefore whoever humbles themselves like this little child
is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:4
How do you see children as primary teachers of humility?
2. Mankind’s struggle continues to be against vain glory and pride.
“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them.
If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.” Matthew 6:1.
Vain glory is the excessive desire for recognition and approval from others.
Pride is the excessive concern for excellence against and above others.
Where do you struggle with vain glory? Where do we as a people struggle with pride?
3. The Life, Death, Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus pulls us towards humility.
“Anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
Whoever finds his life will lose it and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”
Matthew 10:38,39. (Matt.16:25)
Can you give examples in the life of Jesus that pointed towards humility?
4. Paul says “value others above yourself,” capture the posture of humility.
“Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,
and whoever wants to be first must be your slave
- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve,
and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:26,27.
“Whoever exalts himself will be humbled,
and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” Matthew 23:11
In what ways could you better cultivate a posture of humility?