October 21, 2018
SEVEN DEADLY SINS
“Anger: Holy Passion or Hellish Habit”
Mark 3:1-6; James 1:19-21
1. Anger is an emotion that can both, be a v________ and a v_____.
2. As a virtue, the emotion of anger is used:
a) In self-defense, to protect when v____________.
b) In response towards injustice, making right what’s wrong
c) It is used when love is at its root.
3. God is described as threatening anger and wrath;
Exodus 32:10,11; Numbers 11:1,2; Isaiah 13:9
God is also described as being “compassionate, slow to anger, abounding in love.”
Exodus 34:6; Numbers 14:18; Nehemiah 9:17; Psalm 86:15; Psalm 103:8;
Psalm 145:8; Joel 2:13; Jonah 4:2; Nahum 1:3
4. As a vice, Thomas Aquinas describes three categories;
a) We can get angry too quickly, fly off the handle. Quick-tempered, v__________.
“An angry man stirs up dissension, and a hot-tempered one commits many sins.”
b) We can get angrier than we should, sometimes leading to v____________.
“A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control” Proverbs 29:11
c) We stay angry too long; resentment, bitterness, hatred, v___________.
“Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrong.” Proverbs 10:12
5. Antidotes to Anger include;
a) Take a “time out” and reflect on what makes you angry.
b) Lay your anger at the cross of Jesus, the symbol of God’s wrath.
c) Pray for persons who makes you angry: Matthew 5:43-45
d) Forgive those who have sinned against you: Matthew 6:14,15.
e) Find ways to control your anger: James 1:19,20
“My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.” James 1:19,20.
f) Image God in being compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in love.
Small Group Questions:
1. Can you remember a time when your anger was a good thing?
2. Where do we see anger as a negative emotion in our lives?
3. Where does God use us anger and wrath in peoples lives today?
4. Where is God compassionate, gracious, slow to anger and abounding in love?
5. In what ways have you seen anger surface in your life experiences?
6. How is the cross of Jesus a symbol of God’s wrath?
7. Is there someone that’s made you angry, that you need to forgive?
8. Are there people that make you angry, that you should be praying for?
9. What are healthy ways to control your anger?