September 30, 2018
SEVEN DEADLY SINS
“Envy: Feeling Bitter When Others Have It Better”
Genesis 37:1-4 NIV
James 3:13-18 NIV
Seven Deadly Sins;
a journey of courageous introspection and amazing grace.
1. Envy is feeling bitter when others have it better.
Wanting another person’s possessions is c____________.
Jealousy is feeling threatened when a person’s love is taken away.
2. Envy is consumed with constant c___________ with others.
Envy finds fertile ground in c_____________.
Envy is never satisfying and always c___________.
3. James describes envy as being demonic.
“But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts,
do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven
but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.” James 3:14,15.
Envy undercuts Jesus c____________ to love one another.
Envy reveals our personal struggle in loving ourselves.
4. Antidotes to envy includes naming it in my c___________.
Spend time absorbing God’s love for you in C______ Jesus.
Personally invest in other people’s c_________ good.
“But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure, then peace-loving,
full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.” James 3:17
Pray for a spirit of c______________.
Small Group Questions:
1. Where do you specially see “green eyes of envy” at work in the world today?
2. Can you think of an example of wrestling with envy in your life?
3. How do you see envy differing from coveting, or jealousy?
4. Where do you find yourself struggling in comparing yourself with others?
5. How can playing board games with others help us fight against envy?
6. How does envy undercut our ability to love one another?
7. What concrete ways can I work on healing the bitter root of envy?
8. Where can I pray for the betterment and success of another?