February 4, 2018
BUILDING A PERSONAL PRAYER LIFE
“ENGAGING IN PRAYER”
1. We have been making space for God.
Invited to pray “I belong to God, I belong to you O, Lord.”
We have explored gestures and attitudes of gratitude.
2. The disciples said to Jesus “Teach us how to Pray.” Luke 11:1
Humble versus Proud
3. The Psalms Include e____________ prayers: Psalm 4
“You have filled my heart with greater joy, then when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:7,8.
Other evening prayers include Psalms 75, 91, 100, 104, 116, 134, 136.
4. The Psalms Include m___________ prayers: Psalm 5
“In the morning Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and I wait in expectation.” Psalm 5:3
Other morning prayers include Psalms 3, 19, 90, 106, 145, 147, 148, 149.
5. Jesus taught his disciples what we’ve come to know as the L________ P__________.
“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
Forgive us our debts as we have also forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one.” Matt.6:9-13
6. Set a goal to pray each day this week, a morning and an evening prayer
Write down: When I will pray; __________________________________________
Write down: Where I will pray __________________________________________
Write down: What I will pray ___________________________________________
Write down: How I will pray ____________________________________________
Write down: To whom I will pray ________________________________________
Small Group Questions
1. What kind of rhythm have you established in your prayer life?
2. According to Matthew 6:5-8, how does Jesus teach us to pray?
3. Do you remember learning evening prayers? Read an evening Psalm prayer.
4. Did you know that the Psalms included both evening and morning prayers?
5. How often do you pray through the Lord’s Prayer?
6. Write down: When I will pray my morning and evening prayers.
7. Write down: Where I will pray my morning and evening prayers.
8. Write down: What I will pray for my morning and evening prayers.
9. Write down: to whom I will pray my morning and evening prayers.