March 10, 2019
First Sunday of LENT
EVERYDAY DISCIPLINES SERIES
“The Spiritual Discipline of Getting Lost”
1. Jesus was led on a wilderness journey that included difficult p________.
- Wilderness - Leaving Nazareth
- John the Baptist put in prison - lived in Capernaum
- Galilee of the Gentiles - living in Darkness, shadow and death
2. Getting lost could be received as God’s work in spiritual p___________.
“Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from God.” Matt. 4:4
“Do not put the Lord your God to the test.” Matt.4:7
“Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.” Matt.4:10
3. Wilderness journeys can also be a time of p_________ and p__________.
- What is most important?
- What are the essentials?
- What are my greatest priorities?
4. Followers of Jesus recognize the Kingdom of heaven being p____________.
“From that time on Jesus began to preach,
“Repent, for the kingdom of Heaven has come near.” Matthew 4:17
- Through the gift of listening, silence and p_________.
- Through the gift of p__________ and p__________ God’s word.
- Through the gift of p_________ with others in the gospel.
5. God wants each of us to find our p________ and experience his p_________.
1. Can you remember a time when you were ever lost?
2. Do you remember a time where you were in a spiritual wilderness?
3. What were some of the lessons that you learned in your struggles?
4. Do you believe God was preparing and strengthening you in some way?
5. In what ways have you felt pruned, or what have you ever had to purge?
6. How would you describe the kingdom of heaven being on earth already now?
7. What sharpens your spirit in recognizing God’s Spirit at work around you?
8. How have you found purpose and where have you found peace?