April 8, 2018
Lost and Found on Tables in the Gym April 8 & 15. Come gather your things if you want them before they make their way to GBF!
Mountainview Book Club: The Book Club will be meeting this evening, Sunday, April 8, at 7pm in the church library. This evening's discussion will focus on the book by Atul Gawande, Being Mortal. Feel free to join in. Call Liz Meijer, 905-945-9374 with any questions about the club.
65+ers. Come and join us on Thursday April the 12th! Coffee will be ready at 10 and meeting starts at 10:30 am. Tyler Couperus will share about his experiences with EURO relief. If any of you watched him on his blog, you’ll be familiar with some of the things he experienced. Come and show your support to this young man for such a special mission. Lunch is served at noon followed by dessert! Hope to see MANY of you there!
Youth Yard Sale - Spring cleaning is here! Do you have stuff that you no longer use but is still in good shape? The Mountainview youth are planning a fundraiser yard sale for July 7th and would like you to start putting stuff aside for them to donate to their sale. Proceeds of the sale will go towards their mission trip to Puerto Rico in March 2019. Questions? Contact Janice: email@example.com.
SERVE SATURDAY - The Outreach team is organizing a "Serve Saturday" on Saturday, April 21 a morning where we can bless those in our community by serving them. Come and serve with your small group, friends or church family. Join us first for breakfast at 8:30 at the church and a time of devotions and prayer. After that, we will go out into the community in groups to serve others' needs- spring yard clean ups, helping out at GBF, visiting seniors, doing small projects etc. Come back to the church at 12, after your project, for a BBQ lunch and more fellowship. If you have a need or know of someone in our community or a neighbour with a need OR to sign up to serve, please contact Gerry Bijsma at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jessica VanGeest at email@example.com or call 905-563-3676. Child care will be provided for children 3 and under.
THE WEEK OF GUIDED PRAYER (WOGP), Praying Our Story: We invite you to participate in this retreat that involves spending thirty minutes a day at home, reading a scripture passage, praying, and then coming to church for another thirty minutes to meet with a prayer companion to share your prayer experience. The WOGP runs from May 27 - June 2, 2018. Do you still have questions? Check your church mail slot for further information or speak with any of the planning committee members, Graham Austin, Lorraine Austin, Sue Kikkert, Marg Vermeer, or Liz Meijer. Registration begins Sunday April 29, 2018.
LOCAL & DENOMINATIONAL NEWS
Covenant Christian School (Smithville) celebrates Christian Education Week April 9 - 13th with the following events:
· Grandparents/Senior Friends day on Wednesday, April 11 starting at 9:00am. Attendees will be treated to a viewing of our Spring Mainstage production of “Fiddler on the Roof Jr”., followed by classroom visits and lunch.
· Covenant will be presenting its Spring Program “The Fiddler on the Roof Jr.” in the Covenant Christian School gym, on Tuesday, April 10th at 6:30pm and on Thursday, April 12that 6:30 p.m. This event will feature all many of our students acting and singing as they tell time-honoured tale of a family’s struggle to balance tradition and the changing world around them.
Admission is $5.00, and everyone is welcome! Seating is limited, so call 905-957-7796 to reserve tickets.
· Pastors' Open House: We will be welcoming our pastors on Tuesday, April 10th, starting at 8:45 a.m. for a matinee production and class visits.
· Our annual Open House has been shifted to our Celebration of learning in June.
· Questions? Call Mrs. Lisa Schilstra at Covenant Christian School, 905-957-7796.
John Knox Christian School (Stoney Creek) celebrates Christian Education Week April 15 – 20th with the following events:
· Pastors' Open House: We will be welcoming our pastors on Wednesday, April 18th, starting at 9:00 a.m.
· Celebration of Learning: We welcome you to join us for our Celebration of Learning, which takes place on Wednesday, April 18th. There will be a formal program in the gym beginning at 1:30, and students will greet you in their classrooms from 1:30-3:15 to share what they have learned in regards to our theme of "A Celebration of Cultures".
· Grandparents/Senior Friends Day: This special event takes place on Friday, April 20th. From 9:00-10:20 grandparents and senior friends are invited to visit with their grandchildren in their classrooms to discover how and what they are learning this year. Following a short recess break from 10:30-10:50, we welcome our guests to join us in the gym for refreshments and a sharing of our Celebration of Learning activities.
Questions? Call Mrs. Diana Kingma at John Knox at 905-643-2460.
Senior Student Art Exhibition “Incrementum”; April 7 to May 26. Six of Redeemer’s senior art students will exhibit a semester’s worth of artwork in the final exhibition of the academic year. An exhibition opening will be held on April 7 from 7:00-9:00 p.m. Learn more at www.redeemer.ca/incrementum.
The Libertas Male Choir presents: “Hands across the Ocean.” April 12, 2018: 7.30 PM - Smithville Canadian Reformed Church, Smithville; April 13, 2018: 7.30 PM - St. Paul’s United Church, Dundas. Director: Martin Mans; Pan flute: Liselotte Rokyta; Soloist: Amber Ruthart; Organ/piano: Andre Knevel. For tickets please visit our website: www.libertasvoices.com Or call: 905-522-0001.
Alcohol or drugs in your family or social circles? Get educated before you try to “fix” it. Family Outreach Ontario is available for speaking engagements in schools, churches etc. Visit www.familyoutreachontario.com or call 1888-809-0464.
IF: WEST NIAGARA: Only 2 weeks left to register for this incredible event for women of all ages who seek to learn how to give God away in the very places He has put us! We will worship together, study scripture together (with gifted Bible teachers: Bianca Olthoff, Ann Voskamp, Jennie Allen, Jo Saxton, and many more!) and dialogue about the power and responsibility of sharing the gospel in whatever season of life or place we are in. This event will be held on the evening of April 20th and day of the 21st at Providence Church in Beamsville. The cost of the event is $26USD. It is not to be missed! Go to http://register.ifgathering.com/event/ifwest-niagara to register for the event or follow “IF: West Niagara 2018” on Facebook for more information.
Aging: Challenges and Opportunities - This training event will address the issues we face in “the third third” of our lives as individual believers, as well as the response of the Christian community. Speakers will help us think through faith life, our ability or inability to live independently, caring for aging parents, our interpersonal relationships, and changes in our mental health as we age. Disability Concerns sponsors this event at Maranatha Christian Reformed Church in Woodstock on April 21. For more information and to register see crcna.org/disability. Register a team from your church; three or more people can get the discount rate of $35.
1. Looking to grow in your relationship? Join us for a Couples Weekend Workshop, to learn proven strategies to strengthen your relationship. Hold Me Tight is a weekend workshop designed around seven conversations, all of which have been shown to be essential to successful relationships. Consider attending if you want to connect more deeply or want to get “unstuck” from your patterns, or if you are in established or new relationships. The workshop is offered through Shalem Mental Health Network and will be in Ancaster, ON on April 21 and 22, 2018. For more information and to register for the training, visit: http://shalemnetwork.org/workshop/holdmetight/ or call 905.528.0353 or toll free 866-347-0041.
2. How should we to approach conflict in our church communities? Conflicts within churches are real but we can deal with them in a way that deepens relationship, strengthens community, and builds our faith. Join us for a three-day hands-on training, including support afterwards, on “Learning How to Grow Restorative Churches”. The training is offered through Shalem Mental Health Network and will be in Ajax, ON on April 27, 28 and May 12, 2018. If you attend a CAP church, you are eligible for a 10% discount on the training fee. For more information and to register for the training, visit: http://shalemnetwork.org, or call 905.528.0353 or toll free 866-347-0041.
“Songs to Warm Your Heart” - You are invited to attend an amazing concert of great choral harmonies with the "Crusader Christian Male Choir" from Sprindale and the “Ambassadors Male Chorus” that will warm your hearts as we praise God for the beauty of Spring. Mark Saturday April 21, 7:30 pm on your calendar and book your tickets with an Ambassador or at 519-755-4865 for an evening of great choral Mass Choir selections and guest artists in this “Festival of Praise.” Where: Mount Hamilton CRC. Tickets are $20.00, also available at the door. Call for Family, Student and Group discounts. Enjoy the AfterGlow reception afterwards and reacquaint yourself with family and friends. We are looking forward to sharing a great evening of praise and worship with you!
Come to Smithville Christian High School’s Grandparents and Friends Day on Wednesday, April 25, to learn how computers, technology and arts are changing the way students learn, and what Smithville Christian High School is doing to welcome as many students as possible. Coffee served at 9 a.m., program starts at 9:30, followed by classroom visits and lunch. Everyone is welcome, bring a friend. Valet parking available. For more info, see www.smithvillechristian.ca GP&F Day: It’s not just for seniors!
Save the Date for Indwell! Out annual Hope and Homes Dinner in Hamilton, to celebrate the lives of our tenants and many partners, will be on Wednesday, May 30th. Details to follow. Hope you can make it!
Join us for “Voices for Peace” a conference on Peacemaking; Saturday, April 28, 2018, 8:30am - 4:30pm at Cardinal Flahiff Basilian Centre – Toronto. Steeped in the spirituality of Henri Nouwen and Thomas Merton, speakers Jim Forest and Shad will present on the foundations of peacemaking as well as personal experiences from the front lines of social justice. Drawing from seasoned activists, leaders in contemplative ministry, artists of spoken word and music, this conference will feed your spirit, ignite your conscience, and inspire you to become a voice for peace! Buy your tickets at eventbrite.ca! Light lunch and refreshments included
Smithville Christian High School presents “Harvey” - Elwood P Dowd insists on including his friend Harvey in all of his sister’s social gatherings. Trouble is, Harvey is an imaginary six-and-a-half foot rabbit. To avoid future embarrassment for her family, his sister decides to have Elwood committed to a sanitarium. Mistakes are made, things become comically complicated. By the end of the play, we wonder if Elwood seeing Harvey is such a bad thing after all. This Pulitzer Prize winning play is an exceptionally complex piece of writing. There is nothing trivial about its themes, which include society's perennial need to crush individuals who do not conform to majority thinking and our inability to listen to our fellow humans. May 4 and 5 (Friday and Saturday); May 10, 11, and 12 (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday). Tickets: $12.50 in advance, $15.00 at the door. All performances: 8 pm. To reserve your tickets contact Smithville Christian Office: 905-957-3255 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beginnings Family Day at African Lion Safari - Save the date and get your tickets! Beginnings Family Services invites you to join us for a Family Day at the African Lion Safari on Saturday, June 9, 2018. Kick off your summer and help celebrate our 33rd anniversary. Tickets include admission, an all-you-can-eat BBQ lunch, safari bus and even a face to trunk encounter with an elephant! Everyone is welcome! Visit www.beginnings.ca for a registration form or call (905) 528-6665 for more information.
The more the merrier – Three out of every 10 students at Smithville Christian High School are able to attend this amazing Christian school because of the support provided by generous donors. Gifts, large and small, combine to make it possible to award $200,000 in bursaries every year. This year’s Annual Bursary Celebration, held early in March, featured the stories of parents, students and alumni blessed by Christian education, and an invitation to help us reach this year’s $200,000 goal. Information about the campaign and its impact on our school was in your mailbox or is available on the school website. Please consider whether you can join, or watch the video at https://youtu.be/gamVr4wxdeI or on our website at www.smithvillechristian.ca. Your prayers and contributions are gratefully appreciated, and donations can be made by cheque, online through our website, or by monthly pre-authorized payments. We are deeply grateful for the support that allows our school to open its doors to so many families each year.
Apply for a Bursary – If you’d like to know more about how you can apply for bursary funding, please contact the school at email@example.com or download the bursary application form from our website. Smithville Christian High School – a place where students Belong, Believe and Succeed.
JOB & VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
NACE Bus Drivers for 2018-19 needed - This job is ideal for someone who loves kids and is highly reliable and confident. We need regular, occasional and spare drivers. NACE covers all expenses for medical, licencing, and vulnerable sector checks, and will provide full training if you are considering getting started! Contact Kevin Huinink at 519-546-9159 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Administrative Specialist Job Opening - Do you enjoy administrative tasks? Do you have experience in fundraising administration? If so, World Renew, an agency of the CRCNA, has an opening for a part-time Administrative Specialist who will be based in Burlington, ON, Canada. Please visit our website at http://www.worldrenew.net/careers for more information, or to apply.
Looking for Adventure? - Explore the world of mission work while also visiting several countries in Central America. As part of the Cohort of Missioners, you will live with college-age students from North and Central America and serve the communities you are a part of. Visit resonateglobalmissoin.org for more information or to apply.