September 23, 2018
Ladies' Breakfast - You are cordially invited to attend our first breakfast of the season this coming Monday, September 24 at 8:30am at JJ’s on the Docks Eatery. This breakfast is a wonderful opportunity to connect with other ladies from the church in a casual atmosphere. Please contact Sylvia Prins, 905-563-6872/ firstname.lastname@example.org or Nanda Verheul, 905-309-6160 / email@example.com to reserve your spot. We hope to see you there.
Niagara Young Adults Fellowship - The young adults at Bethany CRC are hosting the first get together of the season on Sept. 30. at at 7:30 pm. We are inviting all Classis Niagara young adults (college age and up) to join us at Bethany for an evening of spiritual discussion and fellowship. We will begin discussing "Not A Fan" by Kyle Idelman. Our format is small group discussion, refreshment, and fellowship. We started meeting two years ago with five CRC churches; Fenwick, Welland, Wellandport, Dunnville, Smithville and are now extending an invitation to all the young adults from St. Catharines, Grimsby, Beamsville, and Niagara Falls. Please consider joining this ministry, we are on Facebook under Niagara Young Adults Fellowship.
Announcements for youth and middle school: Parents of middle schoolers and youth; please go to the Mountainview website and register for the season before events begin. On the task bar, click on MINISTRIES and then either the Middle School or Youth page. Click “REGISTER” at the bottom of the page. Thanks.
Middle School and Youth start up again TODAY from 5-7pm. We will meet in the gym for dinner first. See you then.
Flower Box Fundraiser - The Puerto Rico mission team is building and selling flower boxes for their trip. Two options: square box, fits an 6” pot or triangle prism fits a 4.5” pot; a fall mum is included. A great piece of décor for beside your front door. Cost $40 each. Please contact Janice Schwanz to place an order; firstname.lastname@example.org or call 289-377-8389.
Soup and Chili Cook-off Fundraiser - The Puerto Rico mission team is putting on their aprons and cooking up their favourite soup or chili recipes for you. Taste test each one and vote for your favourite: Saturday September 29; 5:30pm-7:30pm @ Mountainview. Cost by donation.
Personal Support Needed for a Mountainview Attendee: A mature person with a good sense of humour is required to provide personal support to a young senior living in Grimsby with various activities including: grocery shopping, meal prep., and community involvement. 2 to 3 afternoons/evenings per week for a total of 10 hours; Days and times negotiable. Wage of $18-$20/hr based on experience. Remuneration for gas. Police check required. Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Help needed: Many of you in our congregation know Eric Slothouber. Eric has moved to 125 Livingston, Unit 27, Grimsby and is attending Mountainview. The deacons have been assisting Eric with driving him to church on Sunday mornings as well as driving him to the YMCA late Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. We are seeking volunteers to assist us with this need. Please contact Eric Heinen or any of the deacons if you are willing and able to help out. The family is also seeking assistance; See above.
Cadets is looking for people with special interests, skills or hobbies! eg. computers, metal working, electronics, plumbing, cars, health care, police, etc. anything that might be interesting to young boys that you are willing to show them for a night or two. I would like to develop a list of potential contacts to help counselors when looking for something different for their cadets to work on. Note: both men and women are welcome! :). Please consider this and contact Greg Van Geest if you are interested in helping out in this regard: firstname.lastname@example.org / 289-407-5048. Thank you!
1. Coffee Break begins a new season on Tuesday, October 2nd. Registration is open and studies for the year are listed on the Mountainview website: www.mountainviewcrc.org/coffee-break. We offer Story Hour and nursery for the children, but we need babysitters. Able to babysit any Tuesday morning? Please contact Helen at email@example.com or 905-945-2128.
2. Afternoon Coffee Break group will begin on Wednesday October 3rd at 2:15 in the library. Study details to follow. Come on out and join us for a time of fellowship and learning together!
PRAYER WALK: we'll be meeting Saturday October 6th at Tim's across from Coles at 8:30am. walk/drive until 9:30am. For anyone curious about our walks come and join us or give me, Jane deVisser a call. We'd love to have you join us: 905-563-7671 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mountainview Photo Club: Do you have an interest in photography? Come join us as we set out to Grow & Go this year with workshops on different aspects of photography and outings where we experiment with what we have learned. We enjoy growing as a group, both in our knowledge of photography and as Christians. Devotions will be based on the Fruit of the Spirit and learning how we can Grow & Go with the Holy Spirit. You will need a camera that has adjustable settings for the meetings. Our first meeting will be on Monday, September 24th, at 7:30 pm in the Fireside Room. We meet once a month until Spring. If you would like to join us or wish any more information, please contact Corinne Bosch (905) 945-4519 or email email@example.com.
LOCAL & DENOMINATIONAL NEWS
2019 Niagara Church Directory - Christian Courier is beginning work on the Church Directory which is given out to 2200 homes and businesses in the Niagara area. The pages are in full colour. If you own a business, belong to an organization, or know of one that you think would benefit from advertising in the directory, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Ineke at 905-937-3314. Thank you.
The Road to Character - On September 26th the Redeemer Centre for Christian Scholarship welcomes to campus David Brooks & Anne Snyder, two distinguished speakers and thinkers contributing to faith in public life. Join them to explore lives of learning that aren't just about "getting there" but about who we'll be when we arrive. More at: redeemer.ca/road-to-character.
SHALOM MANOR & GARDENS:
1. Alzheimer’s Coffee Break at Shalom: On Wednesday, September 26th, Shalom Manor and Gardens is hosting the annual Alzheimer’s Coffee Break from 9:30am – 12:30pm. We will be raising money for the Niagara Alzheimer’s Society, and we need YOUR help. If you would like to donate baked goods to this cause, please drop them off the day before (Tuesday, September 25), or the morning of, to Jessica in the Volunteer Office. You are all invited to come and join us for a morning filled with goodies and fellowship. Don’t forget to bring some extra pocket change! Donations over $10 will receive a tax receipt. Thank you all in advance for your willingness to help.
2. Volunteers Needed: A Mealtime Partner course will be offered in the Shalom Boardroom on Wednesday, October 3rd at 3 pm for those interested in volunteering in this important role. If you are interested, please register with Jessica, Coordinator of Volunteers by September 28 at 905-945-9631, ext. 1115 or at email@example.com.
1. APPLE-PIE-MAKING VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Please join NACE for our annual Apple Pie Making on Friday, September 28 at JOHN KNOX CHRISTIAN SCHOOL in Stoney Creek, starting at 8:30 am. It's a day of fun, fellowship, making pies, and peeling apples while raising funds for NACE. Even if you have only 1 hour to spare! Bring your favourite paring knife, a bowl and a friend. Lunch will be provided for all those who help. Childcare is provided. Last year was a huge success, please come and help make this year even better! Questions? Call Irene Huinink (905.945.6788), Sheri Nywening (905.563.9209), or Barb Vanderkolk (905.309.4474). To order pies see the order sheet in your church mail slot or call the John Knox office – 905-643-2460.
2. Family Fun Fest (formerly the "N.A.C.E. Bazaar") - SAVE THE DATE!!!!! The annual event will take place November 10 at Smithville Christian Highschool. Committee members are in full force planning and we need your help to make this a success. From kids’ games, silent auction, home décor, live auction, baking, kitchen help, to evening clean up. With hundreds of people joining us in this event, we can't do this alone. Please watch for opportunities to volunteer to be publicized in the next few weeks.
We are also looking for donations for the silent auction, live auction and food donations. If you have anything in mind already please don't wait for us to call you, call us! Questions?? Please contact Christine Vangeest: 905-359-0204 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay tuned for more details.
I Am Not My Own - Jeremy Benjamin Zeyl and his family (wife and two children, ages 9 and 5) are returning to Ontario after crossing Canada for the last 5 months on the I Am Not My Own worship & mission tour with CRCNA and World Renew. The tour will continue until May 2019, culminating at the CRC Canadian National Gathering in Edmonton. The Zeyl clan is in need of a home to stay in (November 15, 2018 - April 15, 2019) somewhere in southern Ontario, to continue the fundraising tour from a single, central location. Do you have or know of a home that will be vacant for this period or for part of it? Please contact Lara Schat-Zeyl, email@example.com.
RIGHT TO LIFE:
1. St. Catharines Right to Life presents Fatal Flaws, a new documentary showing the perils of legalized euthanasia, on Thursday, September 27, 2018 at Harbour Fellowship Church, St. Catharines, at 7 pm. Free admission. Refreshments served. All welcome. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-684-7505.
2. Grimsby Life Chain - On Sunday, September 30 from 1 – 2 pm we plan to gather at the intersection of Main and Christie St. in Grimsby to pray for an end to abortion. We will be joining our silent prayers with thousands of people in 1600 locations across Canada and the US who will be forming Life Chains on the same day! We will peacefully stand, holding provided signs, in honor of the 60 million lives who have been lost to abortion. This is a local witness intended to generate thought and discussion within our community and to demonstrate that abortion is not a closed or settled issue in this country.
With thankfulness to our God, Niagara Christian Gleaners board and committees are humbled to inform you that the capital campaign of 2.2 million has been met! Donations will now go to the operating budget as we hope to start production after the open house on September 29th 11 am-3 pm! Please join us then! Thank you for your continued support.
Word & Deed Music Concert Fundraiser - We warmly welcome you to an evening of music performed by Corneil Byl on the organ and piano at Hamilton Free Reformed Church this Saturday, Sept. 29 at 7:30 pm. Corneil will be playing a repertoire of classical and various other well-known selections as well as accompanying the audience in singing a number of hymns and psalms. A freewill offering will be taken to support a Word & Deed after-school program in India.
It's That Time again...4th Annual Trivia Night Fundraiser in support of the Seafarers Ministry of John and Grace Van Huizen. Once again, we are planning a Beef on a Bun Supper/ Trivia Night event. Mark the date for Saturday October 13 ,2018, at the Wellandport Community Center. Once again, we plan to have dinner, a silent auction, door prizes, prize for the winning table, drinks and snacks and of course, lots of thought provoking questions for you to answer! Get your teams of eight persons together, or plan to come on your own and join a team. By all accounts, last year's event was enjoyed by all. Tickets will be $20.00 per person at the door. Don't miss out! Doors open at 5:30 pm with Dinner at 6:00 and Trivia begins promptly at 7:00 pm. Come and enjoy an evening of fun, food and fellowship.
We look forward to seeing you! In order to plan properly we will, once again, ask you to RSVP to:
John and Grace Van Huizen - email@example.com; 289-362-6322
Dick and Joanne Drenth-VanDyke - firstname.lastname@example.org; 905-774-3721
St. John’s Presbyterian Women are hosting their Fall Harvest Lunch & Deli Table on Saturday October 13, 2018 from 11:30am to 1:30pm. Hope to see you there.
Fall Friendship Festival; Saturday, October 20, 2018; ClearView Church, Oakville; 10am - 2pm. Hey, everyone... it's time for another festival! Join us for a day of fun and activities and meet new friends. Come and enjoy music and singing with Jacob Moon. Jacob is a professional musician from Hamilton... you will enjoy his music! Enjoy Jacob Moon’s music at www.jacobmoon.com. Invite your friends and neighbours and forward this invitation to all your friends.
1. The John Knox Christian School campus of NACE is currently seeking an educational assistant to work alongside one of our primary students. Candidates committed to ‘inspiring students to love, learn, and lead together in God’s world’ are welcome to apply. We are seeking an individual, who, as a valued member of our educational team, is willing and able to provide daily instructional support a student with communication and social needs. The position may include general classroom support as needed. Please forward a cover letter and resume to Bonnie Desjardins at email@example.com. Questions? Call Bonnie at 905-643-2460. We will review all applications, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
2. We still have openings for school bus drivers for the 2018-19 school year and for spare drivers. NACE covers all application expenses and/or will train you. More info. at: www.Drive4NACE.ca.
Brock Campus Ministry is currently accepting applications for a full-time campus chaplain. This is an opportunity to serve within the Niagara Region as part of a chaplaincy team at a thriving Canadian university. The successful candidate will work with local Christian Reformed churches to bring God's love alive in an academic setting, working to develop leaders and foster ministry opportunities within the student community. Brock campus ministry is part of Classis Niagara's growing missional vision. Put your training to practice and stretch yourself to the fullest potential as your theology is challenged, your faith is expressed and as you join God in what He is doing on this campus.
Martindale Place Job Opportunities: Are you or someone you know interested in working in a faith-based environment? If so, consider applying to Martindale Place – a Christian non-profit senior’s housing campus in St Catharines. We are getting to ready open our newest building and will require many new staff in all departments. For more details, visit http://martindaleplace.com/employment-opportunities/. We will also be hosting a Job Fair if you would like to see us in person – see our website for more details about date and time.
Interested in joining the team at World Renew? Local opportunities presently include a full-time vacancy for a Refugee Program Associate position and a Direct Marketing Program Manager opportunity in Burlington, as well as a Communications & Media Internship with the Honduras team. Please visit www.worldrenew.net/careers for more information, or to apply.