Thailand's Soccer Team that Won

Thai Soccer team 2018.jpg

People around the world were engaged in the amazing rescue of twelve 'Wild Boars'; the name of a boys’ soccer team; along with their coach, who were trapped in a cave in Thailand. Some of the boys knew of the Tham Luang caves, which were 45 minutes biking from the town of Mae Sai, where most of them went to school. They biked to the caves with their 25year-old assistant coach, Ekapol Chantawong. It was not until 7 pm that evening that their head coach, Nopparat Kathawang, noticed something was desperately wrong when none of the boys came home. They found their bikes and back packs at the mouth of the cave. Water had already filled in their exit route. The boys and their coach had no choice but to go further into the 5 km tunnel. When officials realized they were trapped inside, a rescue team with international expertise was called in. It would be nine days later, on July 2nd, when two experienced British divers went further into the caves, that they finally discovered the twelve boys and their coach huddled on a ledge together, some four kilometers in. There was jubilation in discovering the team was still alive, but the greater challenge would now be getting them out. Food was brought in, as well as water, blankets, a doctor and some medical supplies. A rope line was strung through the entire 4 km route. While they were planning and preparing for the dangerous rescue, one of the rescuers ran out of oxygen himself and could not be revived. Military diver Saman Kunan died on Friday, highlighting how treacherous this rescue operation was. Each child was given some lessons on wearing boots, a wet suit, a helmet and mask, and attached to a buddy diver; along with a second diver who would go behind them. The buddy diver would have two tanks of oxygen that he would share with the child. There would be one point in the dive where tanks needed to be removed through a 38 cm diameter hole, where each of them would have to travel through alone. It was called the choke point. 2.4 kilometers after the choke point, they would finally reach the base of the cave. Monsoon rains pressured the rescue operation into action and on three successive days; Sunday, Monday and Tuesday; four boys were brought out each day, along with their coach. On that final Tuesday, 13 divers assisted with the rescue along with the doctor, and everyone made it out alive. The navy posted on their face book page “We are not sure if this is a miracle, a science, or what. All the thirteen Wild Boars are now out of the cave.” The people of Thailand celebrated as if they were the ones who just won Fifa’s world cup. For the record, we’ll give credit to all who participated in the rescue and all the praise and glory to our Lord and Savior, our creator God, who specializes in deliverance and rescues.                                                                                                                         Pastor Sid

Karin Terpstra